Chatham Middle School Health Office

Attention winter athletes: Sports physicals are scheduled for October 19 and November 9, 2022 at 8:30 a.m. Please see your school nurse to sign up.

Kate Juliano RN
50 Woodbridge Avenue
Chatham, NY 12037
Phone: 518-393-1560 ext. 2010
Fax: 518-392-1559


To download a health form, please click on one of the following forms.

What to do if Your Child Becomes Sick

If your child is exhibiting any symptoms of an illness at home and you are unsure whether you should send them to school please keep them home and contact your school nurse for guidance.

  • If your child has a fever of 100 or greater or was sent home with a fever from school, they need to stay home. Your child should not return to school until they have been fever free for 24 hours without any fever-reducing medication.

  • If your child is vomiting or having diarrhea, or was sent home from school vomiting,  they need to stay home for 24 hours after the last episode of vomiting or diarrhea has resolved.

  • If your child has been diagnosed with a contagious illness (i.e. strep throat, pink eye) and have been placed on antibiotics they should stay home for 24 hours after starting the medication. This is in order to keep the children around them healthy and not spread germs. 

Please remember to call your child’s school attendance line or school nurse to report their absence.


Information on our District’s response to the COVID-19 crisis is available on our Coronavirus Response page…

Flu (Influenza) Information

What to do if Your Child Needs Medication in School

New York State has specific requirements that must be met regarding the administration of medication in the school setting. Parents of students needing to take medication during school hours  (including both prescription and over the counter medications), should contact the Health Office of your child’s school for physician/parent consent forms or visit the link on this website.

Parents must provide:

  • A written physician’s order and signed parental consent for administration of medication which can be found on this link: Permission to Administer Meds in School

  • All medications must be brought to school by an adult in the original labeled prescription or over the counter container

  • All medication must be delivered to the health office by an adult. It will be kept in a locked cabinet or if necessary, refrigerated and dispensed as ordered by authorized personnel

Students are not permitted to self carry medications unless they meet the requirements and their physician signs consent: Medication Self Carry Permission

All unused medication must be picked up by the last day of school or will be disposed of per NYS law. 

New orders and parental consent are required every school year.

Health Examination Requirements

New York State Law requires that a health examination be provided to the school within 30 days of  starting school. Students entering Pre-K, K, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11 or if entering  school for the first time.

Effective February 1, 2021, schools can no longer accept the health exam if it is not on the required NYS Health Exam Form or an electronic health record equivalent form. ONLY the approved form or electronic equivalent form will be accepted by the school for health examinations. Please bring this form with you to your child’s appointment: Required NYS Health Examination Form

Learn more…

Immunization Requirements

Prior to entering school, children must be fully immunized or in the process of completing immunization schedules following ACIP Guidelines. Documentation of immunization is required within 14 days of starting school. Please visit New York State Immunization Requirements.

Religious exemptions are no longer permitted per NYS Law 2164. Only medical exemptions will be accepted and must be documented by a licensed healthcare provider annually.

Physical Education/School Sports

If there is a need for an alteration in physical education activities for your child due to an illness or injury lasting more than 1-2 days, a note from a licensed healthcare provider is required. If the time limit of the exclusion is not specified on the original exclusion note, a new note from the physician clearing your child to resume activity is required. 

Any student wishing to participate in extracurricular sports must have a current physical on file. Physicals are  acceptable for one year (12 months) from the date of the form and can be performed any time of the calendar year. Please go to to register your child and sign up for a sport.  

All required sports forms can be found on Family ID and are to be completed on that site.

Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA) in Youth

Working Papers

All students ages 14 – 17 who are interested in getting a job should fill out Part I of the Application for Employment Certificate form. Students should also check with the Middle or High School Nurse regarding their physical status. Students must have had a physical within the last year.