(July 12, 2021)
Dear Summer School Families:
I hope your summer is off to a great start – and we are excited to have your children in our summer programs. I would like to take a moment to share some recent changes to our COVID-19 protocols for Summer, 2021 students and staff. The New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) has informed us that, given the low rates of COVID transmission, school districts can implement some revised practices for summer sessions only, at their discretion.
Here is what that means for Chatham’s Summer, 2021 students and staff, effective 7/13/21:
- Inside School Buildings:
- Masks must be worn by vaccinated and unvaccinated students and staff whenever moving inside of buildings.
- Masks may be removed by vaccinated and unvaccinated students and staff once seated in the classroom/cohort settings. Unvaccinated individuals must wear a mask at all other times.
- Vaccinated staff not in direct contact with students may remove their masks while in their office or at their workstation.
- Masks must be worn at all times on buses by vaccinated and unvaccinated students and staff.
- Masks are not required to be worn outside on school property by either vaccinated or unvaccinated students and staff.
- Six-foot social distancing will continue wherever possible, along with other safety protocols including cleaning and disinfecting, etc.
- Daily health screenings for students and staff will continue.
Again, the above information only applies to our 2021 summer session. To provide consistency across our region, these changes have been agreed upon by all school districts in Columbia, Greene, and Rensselaer counties.
We are still awaiting NYS guidance for the start of the school year in September. Thank you for your ongoing patience, we will keep families updated as more guidance becomes available.
Superintendent of Schools