Dear 8th Grade FACS Class,
Today’s students are the future leaders and members of tomorrow’s families, workplaces, and communities. Family and Consumer Science education provides opportunities to develop knowledge, skills, attitudes, and behaviors needed for:
● Becoming citizens and leaders in family, community, and work settings
● Promoting optimal nutrition and wellness across the lifespan
● Managing resources to meet material needs of individuals and families
● Successful life management, employment, and career development
● Functioning effectively as providers and consumers of goods and services
This year’s Middle School 8th Grade Family and Consumer Science Curriculum is a 10 week course that will continue to cover Kitchen Safety and Sanitation, Kitchen Tools and Terms, Dietary Guidelines/Allergies….as well as move on to discussion in Self Reflection, Resume Writing, Conflict Resolution/Consensus to work with a team, Careers and Consumer Education; Career Choices, Requirements, and job opportunities.
Students will learn this information through discussions, worksheets, assessments, visual aids, demonstrations, labs, interviews with employers from the community, and other provided assignments.
Remote Learning: Students will receive lessons via videos, slides within Google Classroom and at times, Google Meets. Assignments/Assignment completion dates will be discussed for clear due dates and expectations during the lessons.
Hybrid: Students will have the opportunity to safely engage in food labs and with in person learning, it will allow for a more interactive approach to the lessons being provided, while maintaining the precautions of social distancing.