New York State law requires that public school students must have a health examination when:
- They enter school as a new entrant (regardless of grade)
- They enter Pre-K, Kindergarten, and grades 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11
As of February 1, 2021, schools cannot accept the health exam if it is not on the required NYS Health Exam Form or an electronic health record equivalent form. ONLY the approved form or electronic equivalent form will be accepted by the schools for health examinations conducted on or after January 31, 2021. A list of Frequently Asked Questions can be found on the New York State Center for School Health website.
The examination must be completed by a New York State licensed physician, physician assistant, or nurse practitioner or any physician, physician assistant, or nurse practitioner who is licensed in a bordering state. We are aware that many of our students see physicians in Massachusetts so please be assured that we will continue to accept those examinations, but they must be on the NYS required form or electronic equivalent form.
- A copy of the health exam must be provided to the school within 30 days from when your child first starts at the school as a new entrant, and when your child starts Pre-K, K, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, and 11th grades. If a copy is not given to the school within 30 days, the school will contact you.
- If your child has an appointment for an exam during this school year that is after the first 30 days of school, please notify your school’s health office with the date.
- For your convenience, the new physical exam form and the dental certificate for your health care providers are enclosed.
- Communication between private healthcare providers and school health staff is important for safe and effective care at school. Your healthcare provider may not share health information with school health staff without your signed permission. Please talk to your provider about signing their consent form for the school at the time of your child’s appointment for the examination.
We appreciate your time in collaborating with us to provide your child, our student, with the required documentation as required by NYS Law.
Chatham Central School District Health Services Team