It’s that time of year again – when snow, slush and ice can impact the school day…
Where do we communicate closings, delays and cancellations?
- Emergency Information Line Phone Recording: Dial 518-392-2400, select option 2
- School website: www.chathamcentralschools.com (upper right under “News & Announcements”)
- School Messenger autodialing phone call or text
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/ChathamCSD
- Twitter: Follow Superintendent DeAngelo on Twitter @Saldeangelo
- Television: WNYT-13; WRGB-6; WTEN-10-/WXXA-TV 23; Spectrum Local News
- Radio: WFLY 92, WGY 810, WRVE The River, WYJB B95.5 WCTW 98.5FM,WRWD 1230AM, 106.9FM, WZCR 93.5FM
District Protocols for Winter Weather Closings
The superintendent and transportation supervisor consult multiple weather forecasts, highway departments and transportation supervisors from other districts. Members of our transportation department drive to various areas of the District to check the roads, as conditions differ greatly from one area of the district to another. The superintendents from neighboring districts confer with each other and compare information. It is after gathering all of this input that a decision is made by the superintendent. The decision to close or delay is generally made by 5:15 a.m.
Our primary consideration is whether our buses can safely transport students to and from school, considering:
- Timing of the storm
- Actual and forecasted temperatures
- The progress of the crews working to clear the roads
- Time needed to clear school roads and parking lots
The decision to delay is made when there is reason to believe that road conditions will improve over the 2- or 3-hour delay time. If conditions do not improve by 8 or 8:15 a.m. and it is still unsafe for buses to travel, the decision to close will be made and the autodialing system will call students’ primary contacts.
Early Dismissal Due to Inclement Weather
In the event of inclement weather that begins while school is in session, forecasts and radar are closely monitored to determine if conditions will worsen or improve by regular student dismissal time. We try to avoid early dismissals because of the significant inconvenience to parents. However, ensuring our students get home safely is of utmost importance and will be the determining factor in a decision to dismiss early. Our autodialing system will be utilized if conditions force us to close school early.
Afterschool and Evening Activities
When school is closed or if weather conditions force us to close schools early, all afterschool and evening activities are cancelled. If school dismisses at the regular time, and conditions warrant cancellation of afterschool and/or evening activities, a decision will be made by 2:00 p.m.